The present document is created on the basis of "Guidelines on article retraction" of Association of Science Editors and Publishers (ASEP).
Article retraction is a mechanism of published information correction and readers notification of the fact that the publication contains serious flaws or invalid data that should not be relied on, it also serves for warning readers on redundant publications (when authors present the same data in several publications), plagiarism, and conflict of interest non-disclosure that could influence data interpretation or recommendations for their use.
Rationale for article retraction:
- detection of inappropriate borrowing (plagiarism) in the publication;
- redundant publication that appears in several issues;
- detection of falsifications or fabrications in the publication (for example, experimental data fabrication);
- detection of major errors (for example results misinterpretation) that cast doubt on publication scientific value;
- incorrect authors list (a deserving author has been omitted or somebody who does
not meet authorship criteria has been included);
- concealed conflict of interest (and other publication ethics violations);
- article republication without author's approvement;
- peer review was not performed for the article.
The procedure of article retraction
I. Article retraction is performed after formal request from editorial board or author.
Iа. The editorial board retracts the article after a formal written request from the author/ team of contributors with a motivated explanation of the reason for the decision. After that the editorial board performs the entire article retraction.
Ib. The editorial board performs the article retraction on the basis of their inspection or submitted information of scientific publication ethics violations. The editorial board must inform the author/ team of contributors of the decision and state the reasons for it (in case of plagiarism the sources should be indicated), it also appoints the date of the retraction. If the author/ team of contributors ignores the notifications, the board informs the ASEP Council of Scientific Publication Ethics.
II. The article and abstract remain on the journal website in the relevant issue, but an electronic version of the text is marked with RETRACTED sign and retraction date, the same marking is placed on the article in the contents list.
III. The information about retracted articles is passed to:
- the ASEP Council of Scientific Publication Ethics (to be included to a unified retracted articlesdatabase)
- the Scientific Electronic Library (elibrary.ru). The retracted articles and their citations are excluded from RSCI and are not included in citation scores.